Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Remembering Nancy Wakeman on her 81st birthday


I spent a delicious morning re-reading Nancy's chapbook Delicious 13 (published Littoral Press, 2013).  Gifted poet and one of the kindest people I know, Nancy Wakeman is now living in place where zip codes irrelevant.   What is relevant, Nancy loved kitties (so Nancy please meet Freddy and Fritz, bonded brothers now two) and flowers.  Somehow, I think Nancy loved dahlias being the city flower of SF, her adopted and beloved home.  A quiet presence, Nancy had a zest for life and a quick, warm smile.  Nancy Wakeman 9/13/2042 - 12/25/2022

we are not done
with desire
a hunger
stronger than death
lives deep in us  
(from "Wild Onion")  



 

2 comments:

  1. Perfection for dear Nancy wakeman

    ReplyDelete
  2. I passed her house just the othet day on the way to meet my friends from marin, and saw the netting covering the steps we walked to the poetry gathering--jane, kit, susan, nancy-- where gifts and laughter and language were exchanged and celebrated over lunch. How nice she was to have us and to share her unusually generous measures of friendship. And the oil paintings of the east coast I will never forget how they brought me back home in a sad but pleasureable way. What more can a person ask of other people?

    ReplyDelete