Saturday, March 26, 2011

Rot. Is rot the opposite of ripe in a poem?

How does rot set in? Once set, is it eye-noticeable? Can you smell rot (or ripe) in a poem? Is this a verbal placeholder (like many poems) to discuss "fecund." Let me be clear, I'm not talking about rotten poetry.

One final question (for the moment): Is rot bacterial or viral in poetry?


The New Yorker wrote (somewhat recently) about "rotten" food -- a delicacy, a trend. I'm not buying; I'm not serving it as I pour myself a glass of wine and contemplate the 22 out of 26 days of rain the ground is enduring.

1 comment:

  1. In the room where they hand out
    the computers:
    This is where it began!
    That inflammation and consecration
    best met by soft cloth, soothing
    beer, cold sheets, warm baths,
    booze, women, and evensong.
    I just know as I touch the keys
    I am touching all the others
    and that is where it all begins,
    that viral antedeluvian snicker
    no beast can hail as friend.

    ReplyDelete