Saturday, June 18, 2011

Dull. What makes poetry dull?

What is the root, the cause of? The poet? Reader? The age? Combination? Alignment of constellations? Dense fog? Is there a school of dull poetry? To an individual's ears does a particular arrangement of words always register insufficient light; lack luster?


To my mouth, a few of the American classics are dull -- mac and cheese, mashed potatoes. Saw a restaurant recently who was fashioning-up mac & cheese. Truffle oil and the like. Chic-chic dull, to me.

1 comment:

  1. Instant soup of it
    for the lack of another box

    "Who among us has a sense of direction?"
    I pictured myself walking up the icy hill,
    then turning right.

    We were all given small lanterns which cast a pink light on the snow, and we marched off with the same resolve we had at the beginning.
    I caught myself peering frequently around me, while others shuffled around without returning my glances.

    I remembered the recipe for cranberry nut bread from the C&N annual report. It was easy to follow and yielded enough for 8.

    ReplyDelete